APC Forum

What is this effect

idigital

Hey guys. I am trying to figure out what this effect is. You have to copy and paste the video link in your browser...

mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/fireworks_vitalstream_com/G-042.wmv

It is the 3rd, 6th, 9th, and 12th shell. What is that effect?

I was brainstorming and I am thinking that it may be a 1/4 tube with a flash and Ti mix. But I am still not sure. I am going to try to duplicate the effect but any advise would be appreciated so that I don't spend too much money on something that may not work. :) But then again that is where the fun and learning comes in at.

When I get home I will mix up some flash and sprinkle in some Ti and test my idea out.

Thanks,

IDigital

they look like a bunch of like mini shells or inserts im not sure but it apears to have fuses burning before the burst. i love that effect though

i believe this is known as "the popcorn effect" it was posted on the old forum and rec.pyrotechnics from what i have gathered it is a dragon egg rolled in a metal fuel comp. a star is rolled around this and when it reaches the core the outside heats up igniting the dragon egg which explodes sending the white hot sparks from the smoldering metal comp everywhere. its a real bitch to make from what i have gathered.

Yep, it's called pop glitter. A fellow on Passfire obtained great results by modifying Bill Fuch's original formula.

Original:

Potassium Nitrate 44.88

Sulfur 14.28

Magnalium, granular, -200 mesh 14

Antimony Trisulfide, Chinese needle 10.5

Charcoal Airfloat 8.84

Copper(II) Oxide, black 4.5

Dextrin 3

Notes: Performance varies with the quantity of magnalium added. Bill says the more the better, with up to 23% possible in some cases before the star simply burns white.

Modified:

Meal (Hot) 63

Sulfur 7

Magnalium (-200) 14

Antimony Trisulfide 11

Black Copper Oxide 5

Bind with 10-15% concentration NC lacquer to desired workability. Add coarser magnalium to make louder pops with a bit longer delay before the effect.

Video of the effect

is this a dragon egg comp or is this put over dragon eggs? and what kind of antimony trisulfide for the modified one (chinese needle or dark)

You either roll or cut the comp like you would for a color star. Because it's bound with NC, making cut stars is the preferred way (less messy).

Either form of antimony trisulfide can be used. The needle form will give a bit longer delay before the popping effect.

wow so these are full sized stars not just cores? interesting that makes it alot easier its kind of interesting that they just smolder then explode do they need a special prime?

I would have assumed that they used a dark prime then large dragon's eggs with Ti. Hmm interesting.

In the video it says the comp was rolled onto dragons eggs, are you sure you got your info right Frank? If so I am very interested in giving these a try, it'd be a simply amazing composition if it could be accurately timed.

I figured it was something with Ti. I am wondering about using small tubes with BP + large flake Ti. Should be able to load quite a few into a 5" shell. :) Not sure if I will get the size of the Ti break that they did. Tomorrow I will be playing with some ideas to duplicate the effect. I will try the large dragon egg with Ti idea. It doesn't look like a normal dragon egg. It reminds me of a small Ti salute.

Idigital

I figured it was something with Ti. I am wondering about using small tubes with BP + large flake Ti. Should be able to load quite a few into a 5" shell. :) Not sure if I will get the size of the Ti break that they did. Tomorrow I will be playing with some ideas to duplicate the effect. I will try the large dragon egg with Ti idea. It doesn't look like a normal dragon egg. It reminds me of a small Ti salute.

Idigital

They do look a lot like some of my small salutes with Mg turnings, so it shouldn't be hard to replicate.

Keep in mind that dragon's eggs are really really really sensitive. And powerful.

In the video it says the comp was rolled onto dragons eggs, are you sure you got your info right Frank? If so I am very interested in giving these a try, it'd be a simply amazing composition if it could be accurately timed.

Yep. The comp was rolled onto dragon eggs to test the ability to use the mix as a prime layer and to add more of a pop. I posted a link to the wrong video.

Here's a video of the comp being tested by itself.

so if i understand correctly you must find a way to roll some dragon eggs bound w/ 5% NC lacquer than roll this comp directly on top correct? i have a few questions:

1. how big should the finished star be?

2. do i need to prime the dragon egtgs or the second coat?

Ok, I was able to duplicate that effect to the T. I used BP with a bit of Ti added to it. I then loaded that mix into a 7/8" plastic shell. I strung that from a tree limb to simulate it going off in mid-air. I lit the fuse, it went off with a nice pop and a puff of white sparks in a nice expanded spherical shape, exactly like the effect in the 3rd shell. I am going to try to take a movie and post it. I am going to try loading the mix into a 1/4 tube to see if I can do the same effect, since I can fit more 1/4" tubes in a shell than I can fit 7/8" round shells into a larger shell.

***UPDATE***

Ok, here is the video of it. Pretty close, but since it isn't a real star I can't say it is the exact same effect, bu they look a like.

Video of test.

Here is a pic of the 7/8" (1") shell with the BP + Ti comp. Sorry for the sorry tape job, but I was in a hurry. The string is just used to hang the shell from a tree limb...

http://www.idigitaltech.com/efx.jpg

I used roughly 80% BP and 20% Ti. You can change this to archive more or less white sparks.

Idigital

Note: This version of the effect isn't a true star perse I guess since it is a small shell. I am going to work on that one as well. Just trying to figure out the easiest way to obtain the effect in a large shell.

MR. FRANKRIZZO I like mixing the ingredients of BILL FUCH'S MEMBERSHIP? MEAL HOW SHOULD BE IN POWDER TO END OR BEADS? THE COMPONENTS MUST BE CLOSELY WITH MIXED? HOW SHOULD BE CARRIED OUT BOULES OR SUCKED?

MEAL HOW SHOULD BE IN POWDER TO END OR BEADS

HOW SHOULD BE CARRIED OUT BOULES OR SUCKED?

Much is confused in the talinkg of the Anglish! WTF the Qwestion isz?

Mixing through a screen is likely the ideal proceedure. Regardless of how you do it, everything must be intimately blended.

Starlight I dont think I have understood a thing you have said. What is it your asking?

Starlight, please have a friend who knows English translate what you are trying to tell us.

I performed this composition:

Meal (Hot) 63

Sulfur 7

Magnalium (-200) 14

Antimony Trisulfide 11

Black Copper Oxide 5

The effect Worksheet has been modified a white flame

I had a separate idea for a competition shell and it lead me back to searching on dark prime/relay stuff again... came across this and remembered this thread.

Dragon eggs dark prime (rec.pyro not eggs, popglitter)

If only i hadn't used up the last of my MgAl on win20...