APC Forum

looking for a Ti glitter comp.

mudmanc5

That was exactly what I was going to say, it gives a really nice sort of glitter. It might even be one of the best glitters I've ever seen. I used 250-350 um (something like 80 mesh by head) spherical titanium and Chrysanthemum 8 with pine charcoal. It might not exactly be a glitter seen from chemical point of view, but it looks very much like it though.

It is way easier to process when the titanium is added after wetting the composition. Titanium has a strong tendency to end up in the bottom of the jar containing the composition.

There's also Buell Slow Gold, here's a video of some I made recently with 20-80 mesh sponge Ti. You could probably sub in a courser sieve of your spherical Ti for a slightly different effect. Even just tossing it in straight out of the bag would probably work. Sponge burns much faster than spherical so it could be very interesting. I may just make a batch using some of my 60 mesh spherical Ti. video: http://pyrobin.com/files/slow%20gold.avi

Potassium Nitrate 36

Charcoal Airfloat 29

Charcoal, 80 mesh 14

Sulfur 9

Titanium, sponge, 40-80 mesh 7

Dextrin 5

On passfire I see a silver streamer formula using "40-200" spherical Ti. It's just Chrys6 +20 Ti. 150-350 is an unusual grading of atomized Ti to see.

EDIT: I just noticed this was in Pyro Comps - don't be surprised if this gets moved, as the pyrotechnics compositions forum is for posting new and established compositions for review, sharing, analysis - not so much to find a composition for your chemical.

Edited by tentacles

Thats about the Ti that skylighter sells, I bought some of the coarser stuff to try in a slow gold formula but haven't got around to it yet.

Potassium Nitrate 36

Charcoal Airfloat 29

Charcoal, 80 mesh 14

Sulfur 9

Dextrin 5

I've made a batch of these, but they're not burning very well. Most of the batch is still drying, but I've forced some of them to dry by heating them up a bit. Results are a TT like star, but not as intense. The Ti doesn't result in any effect at all. I properly used Ti sponge 40-80#. Next time I will use TT as base for Ti streamers or the meal variety of 60-30-10. Add 10 to 20% Ti -80#. I think 40- 80# is to coarse.

These type of stars burn only well hight in the sky. They take oxigen from the air to burn proper. Always test your stars in a stargun or in a shell or something.

When burnt on the ground, the slow gold formula gave me only a solid glowing glob of slag. In the air it is beautiful. I use a slightly modified form, and it hangs in the air for the better part of 30 seconds or a minute. I should have a video coming soon to show this.

It also depends on what size of shell you're making. If you're making 3" shells, then perhaps this formula isn't suited to you. If you're making 8" shells, then it's just fine. Everything is relative. Hang time has little to do with the size of the star.

Mumbles, what's your modified formula? I'm very interested in a long hang time version of these. I used alder charcoal for this batch, and the burn rate obviously reflects this, though the hang time kind of lacks. Next batch I may use a slow charcoal for the 80 mesh and alder for the AF, see how that does me.

Granted, even with the original formula, if you use slow charcoal (commercial airfloat) the hang time is considerable and the burn rate makes 1/8-3/16" stars perfect for a 4" shell. The stars in that 3" shell in the video were 3/16-1/4".

Yea , thats just TT with Ti ? Whats the problem ? Its a very nice composition iam gonna make it lots !

The composition is for SURE TT .

Grtz .

FreakyDutchmen IS the builder of this shell.. I guess he knows what he put in the shell better than you do, and that definitely wasn't TT with Ti.

Tentacles. Sorry I forgot to answer. I replaced half of the Titanium with -20 mesh Aluminum flitters. I don't know where I saw this trick, but the effect is amazing. They hang a LONG time.

PM me for a video. I don't have it rendered yet, and it's on my school server, so it's not ready to share with the public yet.

Are you looking for something along the lines of this?

http://www.apcforum.net/files/mumbly5.wmv

It's a brocade formula that I made burn too fast obviously. I didn't even mill it! Nice effect, but useless as a brocade. Looks real nice as a spider shell though. Needs more 80 mesh charcoal in either case.

However, the mesh size of Ti you have will be far too fine to get an effect like this. Best case scenario, you can get a tad of shimmering in the tail of a silver streamer. That being said, something as simple as a green meal with 10% Ti will probably make a mighty fine star or comet for you.

That was a gorgeous mine, actually. Very nice, and long-duration, sparkle.

Who provided the commentary? :D

It was supposed to be a 2" shell but turned into a flowerpot. I don't know! That guy has been posting on some of my video's WELL before I post them on any forums! I guess I got a stalker or some sort lol. I was just referring to this because although my Ti was coarser, this might be the effect he was looking for! Just make sure to mill the TT as long as you can and make SMALL stars! These stars weren't bigger than 4mm!

Are you looking for something along the lines of this?

http://www.apcforum.net/files/mumbly5.wmv

It's a brocade formula that I made burn too fast obviously. I didn't even mill it! Nice effect, but useless as a brocade. Looks real nice as a spider shell though. Needs more 80 mesh charcoal in either case.

However, the mesh size of Ti you have will be far too fine to get an effect like this. Best case scenario, you can get a tad of shimmering in the tail of a silver streamer. That being said, something as simple as a green meal with 10% Ti will probably make a mighty fine star or comet for you.

Mumbles that was a different looking star kind of cool what was the formula if you dont mind sharing. I guess im not up on brocade formulas. It did burn quite fast

Potassium Nitrate 36

Charcoal Airfloat 29

Charcoal, 80 mesh 14

Sulfur 9

Dextrin 5

To give you an update about these stars I've made recently. They ought to be dry by now, they even layed on the radiator the last week. I've tested several in a stargun, but the results are bad. The star burns a bit like TT, but not as intense, sometimes a bit of Ti begins to burn, but not as the effect showed in the video. The hangtime of te parts of Ti that actually burn are beautiful, but there isn't much of an effect in the whole star.

I don't know what may be wrong, but I've really used the same composition and the same meshvalue of Ti.

I've made the desired effect though, but with -80# Ti sponge in just a simple 60-30-10 (KNO3-C-S) rocketfuel composition. It can be added up to 50% by weight of the used rocketfuel. These stars burn faster than the stars seen in the video though.

Perhaps I will post some starmines of these stars, to show the difference.

Maybe the fact that you dried them on the radiator caused this. It happened to my TT stars which I dried in a very warm room, a sort of crust forms on the outside, and the humidity inside can't get out.

This is common in compositions containing a high % of charcoal.

Maybe the fact that you dried them on the radiator caused this. It happened to my TT stars which I dried in a very warm room, a sort of crust forms on the outside, and the humidity inside can't get out.

This is common in compositions containing a high % of charcoal.

The last week on the radiator was just extra. The stars dried naturally first, but still burnt poor, but were dry. So I've put them on the radiator to see if it might help, but the effects are the same. I'm busy finding the right software for editing, so please wait a bit and I'll post some video's.

EDIT: Here it is

The first mine represents the composition mentioned earlier and the second the rocketfuel with 50% Ti -80#.

Edited by xxxjanusxxx