APC Forum

Barium Nitrate

Mr.Dan

I have noticed that a lot of comps use barium nitrate but it is also said to be very toxic. The only place I can find it is on skylighter and you even have to pick it up at the warehouse. So I assume you guys make it so how would you go about doing that?

I have been thinking about:

BaCO3 + 2HNO3 ---> Ba(NO3)2 + CO2 + H2O

But now i just realised i could use my calcium nitrate:

BaCO3 + Ca(NO3)2 ---> Ba(NO3)2 + CaCO3

Wait, i can't remember the solubility of barium carbonate...

Ok, apparently the solubility of group 2 carbonates goes down as you go down the group except for barium being slightly more soluble than strontium. So no go on the barium nitrate from calcium carbonate.

Hmm what about acetate...

BaCO3 + 2HC2H3O2 ---> Ba(C2H3O2)2 + CO2 + H2O

Ba(C2H3O2)2 + 2NH4NO3 ---> Ba(NO3)2 + 2NH4C2H3O2

IIRC ammonium acetate decomposes at or slightly above room temperature, i can't remember to what, but perhaps you could boil the solution and crystalize out your barium nitrate from this.

Edit: Wiki says it decomposes easily under heat to acetamide and water and now i remember that this is something i have had intrest in in the past.

Barium carbonate and ammonium nitrate. Either fuse together or boil the hell out of an aqueous solution of the two. Ammonium carbonate decomposes at high temps into CO2, NH3 and H2O.

I found something on SMDB on the AN and BaCO3. I tried it at school with no sucess. HNO3 + BaCO3 I reckon is the best way to go.

EDIT: I just called the place where I get my KNO3, they have 14% nitrogen HNO3 (I think that makes it ~40%) 20 litre barrel for $75

I'll have to try one of the 2, thanks for the carbonate way rogue! I'll probably try it first as i have used most of my 10% vinigar up on copper acetate.

(adds to list of projects)

I think firefox has it for about $4/lb and tacs about a $20 dollar hazardous charge. The hazard may be higher.

Don't always look in pyro shops. try looking for Chem. shop in your area. I found the chem shop cheaper in most cases.

• 2 weeks later...

Will it be the same reaction for SrCO3? Ofcourse i have to change proportions, but will it work?

Im just wondering, because im a noob in chemistry.

Yes it will be.

Any carbonate + any acid will make the salt of the acid, carbon dioxide, and water.