APC Forum

Yellow

firetech

There are a few colors that are easy to obtain, but the shade/hue/brightness just aren't correct. I'm still looking for a brilliant electric yellow. Most of them are a bit orange and dull. Any good comps anyone?

This section is for tryed and tested comps, not requests.

I think it would be better if you asked in the random thread.

Edit: Thanks :)

Edited by Updup

I have a chlorate/Sodium salt yellow that i almost got all the kinks out of if you want, i can post it.

Electric Yellow

Potassium perchlorate 45

Cryolite 13

Magnalium (200 mesh) 30

PVC 5

Charcoal (airfloat) 2

Dextrin 5

Add 25% alcohol / 75% water

All looks fairly standard apart from the Cryolite, but it seems like the colour you would want.

Chartreuse type yellow:

21 KP

28 BaNO3

3 CaCO3

15 PVC

2 charcoal

6 red gum

25 magnalium

Add alcohol and make round stars on cut stars or rape seeds as core. This copmosition burn fast. Can be modifed. Increasing of calcium carbonate cause approach to common yellow, like in the veline system.

I tryed too:

KP 30

NaNO3 20

15 PVC

2 charcoal

27 magnalium

6 red gum

This is sodium nitrate type yellow, little orange, but not chick or lemon yellow.

Yellow flame is easy to make, but PVC improve yellow colour and flame transparent, as describe Shimizu in his book. You can modify this composition, ....smaller percentage of PVC.

Stars are similar like in this video:

Yellow Composition #1.

Potassium Nitrate - 40%

Potassium Perchlorate - 30%

Sodium Chloride - 30%

Charcoal - 20%

Sulfur - 10%

Imparts a deep sodium yellow on the flame, Need's a good priming of BP.

Your mix adds to 130%.

You may also want to look into better sodium sources. NaCl, for all intensive purposes, is totally inert. It's not going to burn, and it's not going to burn anything else.

I'm going to have trouble binding that with water, which I'd like to do.

How is sodium oxalate for yellows? It's in most high temp comps. Either that or cryolite or ultramarine.

It does burn with a yellow flame, If i can i'll find it and show ya. I know it adds to 130%. And i think I bound it with NC. I've used Borax before(in a poor attemp at green >.<) and that an interesting yellow. but that composition does work, and its cheap to produce.

In general my favorite yellow colorant is sodium benzoate. Sodium oxalate makes some very attractive yellow glitters, but I admit I don't have much experience with it as a straight color donor.

I don't have anything special. I was tooling around last summer with something like the following:

Perc - 65

NaBenz - 11

Red Gum - 12

SrCO3 - 4

Dextrin - 5

Charcoal - 3

I was at the time trying to get more of a golden yellow, so that is why there is SrCO3 in it. You could probably add in some sodium bicarb or more benz if you wanted pure sodium yellow. Feel free to experiment, and let me know what you find.

Do you have anybody video with sodium yellow stars? I thing, that true yellow, like lemon, can be create only with BaN and orange, or red coloring agents. I never seen stars with criolite or sodium oxalate, maybe composition with these, produce good yellow....I don´t know.

Edited by Karlos

Sorry?:-) video from China!

I have good expirience with red gum in metal fuelled composition. Composition can contain 30% Magnalium, but if you use dextrin and no red gum, stars burn slowly and their ignitability and stability is poor. 5 - 6 % of red gum help and burning is quick. Red gum as binder give less stronghold than dextrin, but stars are still usable and alcohol fumes aren´t so horrible as acetone fumes.

Electric Yellow

Potassium perchlorate 45

Cryolite 13

Magnalium (200 mesh) 30

PVC 5

Charcoal (airfloat) 2

Dextrin 5

Add 25% alcohol / 75% water

All looks fairly standard apart from the Cryolite, but it seems like the colour you would want.

If thats the United Nuclear Electric Yellow, its a crazy star! Forget the yellow, you will more notice the fast burn rate and the intense crackling sound of the magnalium. Its like a yellow streamer. Cryolite is not really that expensive or hard to get, it's a pottery chemical if you have an arts dealer local.

That Epic Yellow shell was also pretty impressive. Nice bright and kinda goldish looking towards the end. I like it :D

Edited by psyco_1322

If thats the United Nuclear Electric Yellow, its a crazy star! Forget the yellow, you will more notice the fast burn rate and the intense crackling sound of the magnalium. Its like a yellow streamer. Cryolite is not really that expensive or hard to get, it's a pottery chemical if you have an arts dealer local.

That Epic Yellow shell was also pretty impressive. Nice bright and kinda goldish looking towards the end. I like it :D

Yeah, it's very high on the MgAl. I personally haven't tried it, was just suggesting formulas and as he was after a 'brilliant electric yellow' it seemed to fit the criteria quite well. I didn't say Cryolite was hard to get, just outlining the point you would have to specifically buy it as it's really just used for yellows whilst the other chemicals you would probably own if you made other colours etc.

Would still be interesting to try it myself, just for the heck of it. Not keen for 100grams though, it would surely deplete my MgAl supplies. The one containing sodium benzoate that Mumbles posted looks good too, keen to make some of that too.

I think I'm going to try out the NaBenz formula Mumbles suggested. I might completely sub the SrCO3 with benz or red gum,,,or a mixture of the two. I want an incandescent lightbulb filament yellow.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried this one "giallo sbistante". It leans more to golden yellow than lemon yellow. I was wanting a yellow more towards the green spectrum than the red spectrum. Adding a chlorine donor wouldn't help? What about a copper salt? 30% MgAl in some of the yellow comps, sheesh...

Barium nitrate 48

Aluminum, ~325 mesh 16

Cryolite 6

Sulphur 4

Dextrine 4

A chlorine donor may help there to bring out the green of the barium or mask some of the Al2O3 and give a cleaner color.

Have you ever given optical yellows a thought? Mixing green and red gives yellow, and it is completely tuneable. If you really want a green-ish yellow, I can see if I have any chartreuse formulas around. It's weird, I hate the color in general, but it looks nice in the sky.